Behind the Mask of a Model

To most people, modeling appears to be filled with glamor, but beneath the surface lies+ challenges that push models beyond their comfort zone. From the societal pressures of maintaining a certain image to combating stereotypes, senior Allison Mask balances her academic life and her modeling career 

“During my fall semester of sophomore year, my brother was doing acting for the agency I am with right now. My mom went up to the office to have a meeting with his supervisor, and I went with her because I had nothing better to do. I was in a T-shirt, blue jeans and a hat. The supervisor asked me if I was one of her models, and I said no. She then told me I had to be one, so she put me through a model camp they had, and then a couple of months later, I was a model.”

Mask has had the opportunity to shoot with JCPenney, Academy and several bridal campaigns, among others. Along her journey as a model, she’s experienced many enjoyable moments. For instance, when her agents inform her that a client wants her back, it boosts her confidence, affirming that she did something right for them. Another highlight is seeing herself on websites or inside stores. However, the aspect of modeling she relishes the most is the chance to collaborate with various stores for photo shoots.

“Everyone else goes on a website and sees people modeling, but I get to see the behind-the-scenes, how everything goes down and all the different people that are a part of it,” said Mask. 

Mask faces the stereotype of whether she must undergo periods of not eating to maintain her physique. However, as an athlete, she has never felt the need to resort to extreme measures. She has been able to maintain her figure through her regular fitness and healthy lifestyle. Page Parkes, the modeling agency in Houston that Mask works with, represents a diverse range of models of various sizes.

“The standards associated with modeling would probably be different if you are doing fashion week in New York City, but I am not a runway model, I do not have that tall, slim figure, I am more commercial and JCPenney and Academy type,” said Mask.

Page Parkes has runway classes, photo posing classes, and events for models to gain exposure and experience. Being able to go to the classes allowed Mask to meet new people who wanted to be models or were already models. 

“I remember during the little model camp I did to become a model and sign with Page Parkes, I met a lot of people and I am still friends with some of them today,” said Mask. We will text occasionally when there is a class to see who is going. The girls I met are nice and we still manage to keep in touch even if they live in Houston.”  

While Mask’s passion for her modeling career pushes her to strive for success, she views it as only an endeavor to fill up her free time. She seeks opportunities to advance in modeling without compromising her other life goals, preferring to change her modeling schedule to fit into her existing lifestyle rather than rearranging her life to accommodate it.