5 Step Beginners Guide to Thrifting

Derek Lee
Senior Erik De Llopart Mascaro Guzek

Thrifting clothing and accessories has become a rising and prevalent trend among teens looking for an adorable, yet chic alternative to retail bought clothing. Trends like 90’s grunge and 70’s disco have only increased thrifting’s popularity in the past recent years. However, it can be daunting to walk into a thrift store without any prior experience. Here are some tips to make a successful thrift store trip. 

1. Keep an Open Mind

It can be tempting to continue the ‘retail store mindset’ of specifically searching for a particular item or certain style while shopping at the thrift store. However, unlike most retail stores, thrift stores host clothing and items that usually contain one quantity and size. So it is important to not go in looking for a specific type of clothing or item, and instead keep an open mind. This also goes for styles as well. While thrift shopping, expand outside of usual styles and embrace unique, funky pieces. Hidden gems can be sprinkled across the store, so keep an eye out. Being limited to only a select few options of clothing and other items could lead to losing great options.

2. Go Aisle by Aisle, Section by Section

To remove the daunting factor of the vastness of thrift stores, it is key to break the shopping trip into manageable and digestible sections. Instead of heading headfirst into the middle of the store, try to pick a designated place to start and slowly work around the store.

3. Spend Money on Quality

With how low the prices of clothing are at thrift stores, it can be easy to not consider if the clothes you are buying are actually of quality. Just because something is cheap, does not mean it deserves to be spent on. So, get a good feel of each clothing piece and consider looking at the clothing’s tag to see if it is a brand of good quality. For jewelry, look closely to see if any rust is visible. 

4. Shop for Off Season Clothing

Similar to retail stores, buying off season clothes is smarter than buying them in season due to their less demand compared to in season clothing. So, for instance, during spring thrift shopping trips, try to purchase a nice winter coat or sweater.

5. Do Not Give Up

First thrifting trips might be underwhelming or seemingly unsuccessful after not finding good clothing finds. No matter the results, do not give up. Continue to go thrift shopping and with practice and multiple trips, it is possible to become a pro and a chic fashionista, or fashionisto, while on a budget. Additionally, once finding a good thrift store, ask one of the employees when they restock their clothing. This way you can get first dibs on the best clothing possible.

Places to Go Thrift Shopping in Katy and Houston

Goodwill

24413 Katy Fwy, Katy, TX 77494

(281) 888-8203

Leopard Lounge

639 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77006

(713) 526-5100

Pavement Clothing

1657 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77006

(713) 528-5500

Lo-Fi Vintage

1629 Westheimer Rd Suite A, Houston, TX 77006

(346) 324-5443

Petty Cash

1643 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77006

(281) 795-5432

Clothes Mentor

814 Katy Fort Bend Rd Suite 250, Katy, TX 77494

(281) 729-1300

Plato’s Closet

577 South Mason Road Katy, TX 77450

(281)578-1487

InStyle Fashion Resale Boutique

354 S Mason Rd, Katy, TX 77450

(281) 741-9225

Yaya Club

123 Fm 1463 Katy, TX 77494

(281) 665-7435

Vintage Hills Boutique 

22762 Westheimer Pkwy Ste 410 Katy, TX 77450

(832) 913-6989