Ramadan Brings a New Sense of Religion

Kyndahl Wiseman
Sophomore Naseera Sahib is celebrates Ramadan with great joy. During Ramadan, she tries to be as giving and caring as possible.

As the sun dips below the horizon, signaling the end of another day, the air becomes charged with anticipation. The first moments of Ramadan are like a gentle breeze ushering in a month of spiritual awakening. As dusk settles, families gather around tables adorned with dates, fruits and glasses of water, eagerly awaiting the call to prayer that marks the breaking of the day’s fast. The rhythm of life during Ramadan takes on a different cadence. From dawn till dusk, Muslims abstain from food, drink and worldly distractions, turning their focus inward. Mosques come alive with the melodious recitation of the Quran, filling the night with a tranquil ambiance. The faithful engage in acts of charity, extending a helping hand to those in need, embodying the spirit of compassion and generosity that defines this sacred time.

“Ramadan is a time where I get to focus on my deen (religion), where I have the opportunity to be more religious and pursue more spiritual goals,” said freshman Muhmmad Asmir Khan. 

To Khan, Ramadan is when he sits down and fully reconnects with his religion. He believes it is a time of reflection and self-improvement, allowing him to take a step back and truly appreciate his faith. He also enjoys that it is a time to come together with family and community, share meals, and engage in meaningful conversations.

“Some difficulties that arise with Ramadan include fasting but also waking up for seri(morning meal),” said Khan. 

Ramadan can be challenging as it requires dedication to getting up early, praying on time and maintaining high levels of self-control.  This can be difficult for many people, but with the right attitude and preparation, Ramadan can be a time of spiritual growth and connection with family and community. With careful planning and dedication, Ramadan can be a wonderful experience.

“ There is no distraction for eating food, so I manage to finish all my work before iftar ( breaking fast meal), and because I have a lot of time left, I devote it to praying,” said Khan. 

Khan’s statement highlights the unique opportunity that Ramadan provides for individuals to prioritize their spiritual practices and connect with their faith on a deeper level. By abstaining from food and focusing on prayer, individuals like Khan create a dedicated and focused environment for spiritual growth and reflection.

“Ramadan is when I have to try to be a better Muslim, physically and spiritually and as a person overall,” said freshman Aliza Bawaney. 

For Bawaney, abstaining from food and focusing on prayer during spiritual growth and reflection is a transformative experience. By challenging herself physically and spiritually, she believes this practice allows her to cultivate a deeper understanding of her faith and personal development.  She has found that this gives her the courage to take risks and open up new possibilities. She believes this also helps her stay grounded and connected to her faith.

“ I have to wake up earlier, so it takes me longer not to eat and drink, and it is hard to see everyone else eating and drinking at school, but it is fun,” said Bawaney.

Bawaney acknowledges the challenges of fasting during school hours but finds joy in the experience. Although seeing others eat and drink may be difficult, she believes that the spiritual connection and sense of discipline gained from fasting outweigh any temporary discomfort. 

“I do all my homework before iftar, so then I just relax afterward; I also have a study hall, so it makes it easier to finish my work,” said Bawaney.

Bawaney has found that fasting makes her more productive and gives her more time to focus on her studies. She says that the self-discipline she has learned has helped her to become a more focused and successful student. Also, having a study hall gives her the advantage of finishing her work at school, allowing her to rest more at home. 

“ Ramadan is an exceptional month, it’s about giving back to the community, appreciating what you have, and helping others in need,” said sophomore Naseera Sahib.

Sahib believes that during Ramadan, she becomes more generous and thankful for everything she has. She also realizes that to be a good Muslim, she must work on herself and help others. She accomplishes this by volunteering at the mosque or giving to charity. During Ramadan, many young Muslims, such as Sahib herself, try to be the best version of themselves. 

“My life becomes physically harder because we are deprived of food and water, but it also motivates me more to get to the end of the day and work harder,” said Sahib.

Though there can be physical struggles during Ramadan, Sahib explains that she is more determined to finish her work because she wants to reach the end of the day. Furthermore, she finds a sense of accomplishment when she finishes her job and finds time to go to night prayers. 

“I obviously have to wake up early to eat and then get ready for school, and you also need to have all your school work done before and after,” said Sahib.

Many Muslim students find it challenging to manage their school life and religious activities during Ramadan. However, Sahib pushes through and makes it to the end of the day. She finds that prayer and worship help her stay organized and focused and help her find balance in her life. Sahib also believes that Ramadan is a time of self-reflection and spiritual growth, and she takes pride in being able to practice her religion while also managing her school work.

In the quiet moments before dawn, when the world slumbers and the sky blushes with the first light of day, believers gather in prayer. Their whispers rise like incense, weaving a tapestry of devotion transcending time and space. In these sacred hours, hearts are humbled, and minds are cleared as the faithful seek forgiveness and guidance from the Divine. Throughout the day, as hunger gnaws at their stomachs and thirst parches their throats, the faithful are reminded of their dependence on sustenance. It is a humbling experience, a reminder of the blessings bestowed upon them and the plight of those less fortunate. Charity flows freely as the faithful reach out to those in need, embodying the spirit of compassion and generosity that defines Ramadan.