Sketch With Purpose, Butlers non-profit earns respect

Alex Haseltine
Charity Butler POHS & Med-Term teacher is the founder of her nonprofit ‘Sketching with a Purpose Inc.’ She is passionate about helping to build people’s self esteem and grow their art skills.

Having a nonprofit organization can be incredibly rewarding. It is all about making a positive impact and giving back to the community. Nonprofits focus on addressing social issues, supporting causes and providing services to those in need. From raising awareness to fundraising and implementing programs, being part of a nonprofit allows you to contribute to meaningful change and create a better world. It is a fulfilling journey that brings people together for a common purpose. 

Charity Butler, a POHS & Med-Term Teacher who has a nonprofit organization, called Sketching with a Purpose Inc. It is an inspirational art class that helps people see themselves in a positive way. 

“I developed Sketching With A Purpose because I know how people struggle with their own self-image,” said Butler. “I have struggled with self-image in my past and so it kind of evolved out of my own process of developing a positive self image.” 

The way individuals see themselves is something that although it may not be talked about outright, many people struggle with in today’s society. Since self-image can become a problem for some people to be able to deal with, Butler decided that she might make a difference with her Sketching With A Purpose classes.  

“In my classes we have some conversations about the importance of viewing yourself in a positive way and reflecting on how we are all created in God’s image according to the scripture Psalms 139:14. My classes are also about self reflection and being able to focus on your own gifts and talents,” said Butler. “During classes, we use stencils to help people come up with a beautiful final product, after I pass out materials and let people execute their own creative process.” 

The pieces of artwork made during the classes promote creativity among the attendees and after they are done making the piece of artwork, they have a way to see their very own affirmations. 

“I know a lot of people that put sticky notes on their mirror for affirmations,” said Butler. “Words alone can make a huge difference in an individual’s life, but turning those affirmations into artwork can take the inspiration from word to art.” 

Butler has made a dedication to making sure that her non-profit organization will make a difference in people’s lives along with improving their sense of self, classes take place on distinct days and the next time they take place, it will be sure to bring  the same amount of satisfaction to attendees.  

“Classes will be at various libraries throughout the city of Houston,” said Butler. “They will start at the Katy Area at the Cinco Ranch Library.”