Feminism = Gender Equality

Feminism = Gender Equality
via Adobe Stock

In the ever-evolving tapestry of society, a movement emerges that challenges conventions, redefines norms, and ignites conversations that transcend generations. The forefront of feminism is a beacon of hope, a catalyst for change, and the cornerstone of a more equitable future. Many find themselves at a pivotal moment in history. From the halls of power to the streets where voices rise in unison, feminism has woven its way into the fabric of our collective consciousness, reshaping the landscape of gender relations and advocating for the rights and dignity of all individuals.

“I think feminism is letting women do what they want and them not needing to explain themselves and them being whoever they want,” said junior Rhea Bhatt 

Bhatt believes that the true definition of feminism is allowing women to do what they want and do anything without explaining themselves to society because their actions and decisions should be valued.  Bhatt also believes that feminism should empower women to control their lives and make choices without judgment. She emphasizes that feminism should not be about advocating for one group over another but rather about promoting equality for all genders.

“I used to think feminism was just girl power or girl wearing pants(being in a higher position) type of thing when I was little,” said  Bhatt. “ But now I know that feminism is about empowering women and creating equality between all genders.”  

Bhatt believed that feminism meant girls working in higher positions and experienced more praise; therefore, she did not like it when she was younger because she thought her definition of feminism only gave power to women instead of all types of people.  Bhatt now realizes that feminism is about advocating for equal rights and opportunities for all genders, regardless of their gender. She believes everyone should be allowed to succeed, regardless of gender. Feminism is a topic that can be seen through different perspectives and changes per person. Sophomore Harsheel Desai believes that feminism is about treating all people, regardless of gender, equally in all aspects of society 

“It is the equal treatment of whatever genders you believe in, that means any gender you believe get paid equally, treated equally, and at the end of the day, their levels of society are the same instead of being divided,” said Desai.

He wants to ensure all genders have the same opportunities to succeed and that people are not held back because of their gender. He believes everyone should have equal access to the same resources, education, and job opportunities and be treated with respect regardless of gender.

“There are two sides, one where there is gender superstar, which should not be: I feel it should not be that way,” said Desai. 

Desai believes that over time, the definition of feminism has drastically changed. He claims that there are two sides to the meaning of feminism. The first is gender superiority, in which one gender has more power over the other, such as women having more power and vice versa. The other side of feminism is where males are treated as the better in society, which Desai believes is wrong. However, he considers that as time has evolved, more people think that all genders are equal and should be viewed that way. 

People’s opinions and definitions of feminism are influenced by personal experience, culture, and social views. However, social media can also severely affect people’s prescriptions of feminism. 

“I think social media offers a broader perspective of feminism, but at the same time, it can also limit the definition, therefore, dimming other women,”  said Bhatt 

Bhatt believes that social media serves as a double-edged sword when it comes to defining feminism. She thinks that social media can provide a platform for women to discuss their issues, but it also has the potential to limit the scope of feminism. Bhatt acknowledges that it is crucial for women to be aware of the different perspectives of feminism and to be able to form their own opinions. 

“ I feel social media has made things both good and worse because social media allows for the misinformation, but it is also so good because girls know over feminism,” said Desai. 

Desai believes that social media plays a massive role in shaping one definition of feminism in a good and bad way. First, Desai thinks social media allows for the spread of misinformation, bringing false statements and facts being posted. However, it is also good because girls have access to social media to understand what feminism is and how important it is. 

The meaning of feminism is complex and multifaceted, influenced by personal beliefs, cultural perspectives, and social media. While there are differing opinions and definitions, the overarching goal is to achieve gender equality, respect, and opportunities for all individuals, regardless of gender. It is essential for individuals to critically analyze different perspectives and form their own informed opinions about feminism.