Art OF NAHS

NAHS paints faces at Legacy Stadium during a game against Taylor. On game days, NAHS enjoys painting the faces of game-goers as support for the football team.
OTHS NAHS Instagram

The NAHS members were starting to rush into the art classroom, to their first meeting. The meeting started off as a summary of what they would be doing, of course, it mentioned the volunteer hours and the opportunities that students would have to earn volunteer time. The meeting was a discussion about activities like face painting, making posters for different clubs around school, and many other fun activities. 

“We have done a lot of collaborations with the choir and we also did backdrops for homecoming which was really fun and we do something called Super Bowls for teachers,” said art teacher Emily Smelser. 

NAHS was founded by the National Art Education Association in 1978, for students that were interested in going deeper into the many branches that art has to offer. The society has students that exhibit authentic skills while drawing, painting, sculpting, and many other styles of art. That allows students to truly hold the name of being an honor student. Many young and talented students are in NAHS like junior Javeria Irfan for example who just recently joined this year. 

“One thing that I love about NAHS is the huge amount of volunteering opportunities and that you can have friends in NAHS that have the same interests as your own,” Irfan said. 

With NAHS bringing in many new students who want to flourish their art skills and opportunities, there are the artists that lead these students into wanting to cultivate more skills in the arts, and those would be the presidents of the club, Smelser, and art teacher Erin Mitchell. 

“So what we do is focus around creating art, encouraging it, and supporting the artists this year at the school,” said Mitchell. 

NAHS has gathered many students with many interests that pertain to art and the qualifications that could come with being in the club. While there are many new students who have come into NAHS looking for new hobbies and time-filling resources, there are many students who have been in NAHS consecutively over the years and follow up on what NAHS has been doing, like Junior Dee Sewoniku. 

“We do things like face painting in the rotunda, backdrops for homecoming, and also many different art competitions,” said Sewoniku. 

NAHS has done many of the art projects and backdrops that a student sees around campus. So NAHS does many fun activities with their students that encourages them to grow their art abilities and continue to flourish in the artistic field.