Siegmund’s Successful Livestock Show

The Fort Bend County Livestock Show and Fair is an annual event that took place from Sept. 23 to Oct. 2 this year. FFA (Future Farmers of America) students from all over Fort Bend County come to compete in the livestock show. Animals that are shown include, pigs, goats, rabbits, lambs and more. The students competing get their animals in May and raise them through to the competition in September. This includes feeding them twice a day, cleaning their pens and working with them so they will be shown to the best of their ability. Junior Lauren Siegmund just competed for her third year in the Fort Bend County Fair.

“While raising my pig, my normal day in the summer was getting up by 7:30 a.m. to drive out to the barn and then going back to the barn around 6:30 p.m.,” said Lauren Siegmund.

During the few months she had to raise during the school year, she had to get up at 5:00 a.m. to go to the barn. She raised two pigs from May to Sept. 26, but she only competed with one named Penelope. She had to raise two pigs because she was the only student in the Tompkins barn raising a pig, and she could not raise it alone. Also if hers died, she had another she could still compete with.

“I won Reserve Grand Champion for my breed,” said Siegmund.

Siegmund competed with rabbits her freshman year and a pig last year and this year, with this year being her biggest success yet. She won Reserve Grand Champion and got second in her class at the fair. To top off her achievements, she was called back for excellent showmanship. Her favorite part of competing this year was being with her animals, but her least favorite part was cleaning out two pens.

“I feel that raising an animal teaches you responsibility,” said Siegmund.

Raising an animal for four months at a time requires students have to show dedication and hard work in order to be successful. When a student receives their animal, it becomes their responsibility until the show. The students and their family pay for vet bills, food, and any other supplies needed for that animal. They take on a large amount of responsibility, but the ones who do this every year, like Siegmund, show that they have the dedication and character to put in the work.