Marts Joins Tompkins Music Department

A large room is filled with multiple students in an array of chairs playing melodies that beautifully interact together. The euphonious sounds fill not only the room, but the entire art hallway. Two leaders stand in front of the students directing and assessing the musicians. Tompkins orchestra recently added a new member to the program, assistant director Sarah Marts.

Marts graduated from the University of North Texas with degrees in violin performance and music education. She specializes in the violin, but also plays the viola, Baroque violin and sings. Her love for orchestra stems from the community feel of it. She enjoys how different members of an orchestra can join together and create something, no matter their background.

“It is never too late to start. Even if you are a junior or senior and you wish you knew about music, come by the orchestra room and ask me about lessons,” said Marts.

Marts looks forward to building individual relationships with the those in orchestra and other staff members at the school. She credits her decision to become an educator on the fact that she enjoys interacting with people.

“The achievement I am most proud of thus far is landing this job at Tompkins,” said Marts. “I like to think that everything I have worked for and all I have accomplished has led me to the role I am currently in, and I could not be happier or more excited.”

As a musician, Marts has many famous inspirations and favorite artists. For example, concert violinist Augustin Hadelich appeals to her classical side, and ranks high on her list of favorite performers. While orchestra music is classical, she also enjoys other genres of music such as played in the bands Panic! At the Disco, Nirvana and Queen. Regarding the composition of music, she cites Franz Schubert as her favorite. She greatly enjoys chamber music and even participates in a classical group.

“I recently started playing in a string quartet with some other local orchestra directors. We are currently trying to come up with a name.”

Marts wants to share the inclusive nature of music, the idea that anyone can participate in it. She also wants to stress that music is very social and has the special ability to create new connections between people.

“I believe everyone should learn music because it is one of the most human things we can participate in,” said Marts. “I believe everyone can, and should, learn to sing or play an instrument.”