New Year, New Goals

As the school start up again, it is during this particular period that students are curious of what events will take place during both semesters. This is when Student Council comes in. Their purpose is to represent the student body and raise school spirit through various activities.

As the Council welcomes new individuals each year, the president, vice-president and sponsor Scarlet Stuckey, work alongside the other members to create a goal and come up with events to increase school spirit among the grades. Senior Danielle Blinn is this year’s Student Council Vice-President.

“This year we want to do a lot of activities and involve a lot of people in school. We want to raise school spirit so we’re planning on having an awesome Homecoming and also having a lot of other activities,” Blinn said.

The Student Council started off the year with a Senior Sunrise which received a great response. Officers are planning a number of different activities to engage students in school events throughout the year and promote school spirit, both during Homecoming season and during the rest of the year.  

“We hope to achieve our goal by having more dress up days and, by hosting a couple of events,” Blinn said.

Since the Council is still relatively young, traditions had to be created from scratch; despite this setback, the members were able to encourage student participation by coming up with several unique activities.

“Especially this year, we’ve done Senior Sunrise and we were really glad to see how many people showed up there and at the end of the year, we are planning  on doing another senior sunrise and we hope people go to that. We’re really excited because more people are participating every year. We’d like more people to participate, but so far it’s been okay,” Blinn said.

The success of the Student Council this year is partially due to their structured system of receiving input from the student body and reaching back to them as best they can.

“We have a meeting every second Monday, and there are a lot of people who joined and anyone can join – they can still join. We have a big variety of students. We ask them their opinions and they give us their input on ideas for the school that they have, and then we take those and we try to accomplish them,” Blinn said.