Bike for a Cause Over Spring Break

Every year, the city of Houston hosts the Tour de Houston. The event, its namesake borrowed from a particular French bike race, is coming up on March 15. This year, the bike race has several route options, for the hardcore cyclist to the more-in-it-for-leisure-but-can-bike-long-distances cyclist, all winding through historic or naturally beautiful sites in Houston. Racers can choose between a 20, 40, or 60 mile course starting and ending in Hermann Square directly outside Houston City Hall. The paths pass by tons of landmarks, such as the Houston Public Library, Buffalo Bayou Park, and Bayou Bend Art Collection, and several historic city districts.

Proceeds from the race go to the Houstons Parks and Recreation Department. The department keeps up with parks and wilderness in the area and hosts a number of free events in the areas of adaptive sports, youth and adult recreation, and senior activities. The Tour de Houston is one of the Parks and Recreation Department’s largest fundraisers. The tour is being sponsored by several companies like H.E.B., Sun and Ski Sports, and Apache Corporation.

The tour’s riders will receive various prizes, like medals and trophies, depending on the place they finish in. Everyone will receive a participation reward. There will also be a bike contest wherein two riders will receive free Cannondale CAAD Optimo Claris Road Bike. Raising Cane’s is holding a raffle for two people to win a free Cane’s gift basket, complete with a plush puppy, keychain, and free food.  After the race, there will be a post-ride party for bikers and volunteers complete with music, food, and drinks.