Girls Track Qualifies for TTFCA Meet of Champions

As the ten second countdown before the meet begins, the runners are hit with a rush of adrenaline. Nervousness empowers them to stay motivated and focused. In the end, they trust that they have done everything possible to prepare for this moment.

The fourth annual TTFCA Meet of Champions requires runners to either qualify or be state champions. It is taking place at San Antonio Antonian High School on May 17 and 18. Six out of the 120 girls on track qualified for this meet, one of them being sophomore Hayden Gold.

“I have always loved running and fell in love with it in 8th grade. The rush of the wind and the feeling of accomplishment are only some of the things that get me hooked on the runner’s high,” said Gold.

This is the first year that Tompkins has had girls qualify for this meet, and track coach Amy Pitzel could not have been more proud to watch these girls grow over the season. Pitzel has has been training the girls five days a week in order to make sure that they are completely prepared for this reputable meet.

“Every single one of these students have improved over the season and have worked so hard to accomplish their goals,” said Pitzel.

Although girls track has had a good season with girls qualifying for this meet, according to Pitzel, there is always room for improvement.

“Keeping them motivated is not an issue because they are all so driven. It is more about trusting that they will eventually improve with practice,” said Pitzel.