The Galaxy S8 Versus iPhone 8/X

With the constant releases and updates between two leading phone manufacturers, Samsung and Apple, features and benefits of each can often be confused. Technology is constantly changing and evolving to fit consumers’ needs, but these two brands in particular have been releasing very different things recently. Here is the breakdown of the Galaxy S8 versus the iPhone 8 with features, benefits, and drawbacks included.

Galaxy S8

The Galaxy S8 was released on April 21 of this year, but began preorders on March 29. It’s price ranges from $625 to $725. The pros of this phone are the 5.8-inch screen, 12-megapixel camera, 8-megapixel front camera, water resistance, wireless charging and an impressive 3,000 MAH battery. The cons are that the fingerprint scanner is right next to the camera on the back of the phone, causing smudges and it also takes longer to unlock.

iPhone 8

The iPhone 8 released on Sept. 22 and the price ranges from $700 to $850. The camera was greatly upgraded, which included 4K Ultra HD videos and a best-in-the-industry slow motion option. It has a 12-megapixel camera, just like the S8. Battery life was extended and it charges wirelessly now as well. It is still missing the headphone jack, but comes with the headphones that are compatible with the charging port. It is said to be water resistant, but the return of the glass back makes it more susceptible to shattering on both sides.

iPhone X

The iPhone X was announced recently and preorders begin on Oct. 27. This phone also has wireless charging, but has facial recognition instead of fingerprint scanners. It is the first phone to be released with an OLED screen, which makes the colors of the screen more vibrant as well as being more thin and efficient. The iPhone X has an entirely glass front, meaning it will shatter more easily like the iPhone 8. When this phone is bought from Apple, it will cost $1,000 to $1,150.

The phones are similar in features and upgrades from previous additions, making the decision up to consumer preference about design, layout and price. Apple products have their own signature design that many users find easiest to navigate, while Android products are constantly updating/ upgrading their layouts and organization to be the most useful. The iPhone is also more expensive, but some may be willing to pay more for what is familiar. The fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy S8 is a drawback for many, but for the price it may be worth it to some users. All three phones have beneficial upgrades with their own unique features that are appealing to consumers, allowing for a more competitive market that pushes manufacturers to continue to evolve.