Head Choir Director Christian De La Cruz Named HEB Excellence in Education Finalist

De La Cruz cheeses widely as he is given his prize award of $1,000. De La Cruz teaches each level of choir to cultivate growth in their singing abilities.

This past week, head choir director Christian De La Cruz was named one of the finalists of H-E-B’s Excellence in Education award in Texas.

According to the HEB website, the goal of the Excellence in Education award is to recognize exceptional public school professionals and to express gratitude for their dedication. Separated by each of the many districts in Texas, finalists receive $1,000 – $2,5000 each. Winners of the competition receive $100,000 each.

H-E-B encouraged its employees and community members to nominate outstanding teachers to be recognized for their hard work, De La Cruz being one of the 40 to be chosen. To celebrate his award, H-E-B brought their grocery bag mascot “H-E-Buddy” along with a giant $1,000 check to the choir classroom. Principal Mark Grisdale expressed great pride in De La Cruz for his award. Final results for winners will be announced May 5th.