Five Places To Celebrate The Christmas Spirit

The Houston Zoo

The smell of musky pine from Christmas trees fills the air of Katy, with glittering lights enchanting the town, delicately painting the town colorful. The holiday season is here. And tis the season to be surrounded by loved ones. So, what better way to start off this season excellently than to hang out with your friends and family at some of the newest, and coolest, spots in Houston. Here are five places to chill at with your loved ones this Christmas season.

1.Houston Zoo Lights

When the weather begins to get a little bit colder, the Houston Zoo embellishes itself with bright lights to ring in the Christmas spirit. This is a great place to sightsee and take cute pictures with family and friends, near the light-studded giraffe, or butterfly lined aquarium walls. The lights are best seen at night when the colorful lights can contrast beautifully with the night sky, with prices for adults, children, and seniors going from $25. 70 to $28. 70 depending on the day. The Houston Zoo Lights event will continue throughout the entirety of December to Jan. 7. 

2.Magical Winter Lights

Featured on ABC for their extravagant lights, Katy’s Magical Winter Lights hosts an array of light attractions, the most known being their  soaring, blue lit castle reminiscent of Disney Land’s castle. A part of the ‘Ice Kingdom’, the castle is one of the many attractions in the Magical Winter Lights. The light show hosts five separate lantern attractions labeled A to E  – Ice Kingdom, Space Maze, Children’s Wonderland, Jungle Fairyland and Carnival Rides, Food and Beverage – that surely has something for everyone. Other than the lantern attractions, the light show also hosts a multitude of  performances of the season varying from traditional polish dancing to a magic show to traditional lion and dragon dances. Katy’s Magical Winter Lights will continue throughout the entirety of December, with online prices for adults ( 13+ ) going for $25, seniors ( 65+ ) and children ( 3 – 12 ) going for $18, and $88 for a family pack. In person prices for adults are $29, seniors and children are $20 and family packs are $98. Katy’s Magical Winter Lights are located conveniently this year at Katy Mills Mall.

3.The Ice at Discovery Green

Switch out those old roller skates for a pair of ice skates because the Ice at Discovery Green is back in full swing this season. This rink is perfect for channeling your inner Olympic gold medalist ice-skater, as it has a wide open place for skating with others. Combined with electrifying music, the Ice at Discovery Green is perfect to go with friends and family, and share a good laugh. The Ice at Discovery Green will continue throughout the entirety of December, with regular admissions for $17. 

4.Houston Symphony

With the beautiful soprano notes of the violin complimenting the rich alto notes of the viola, combined with deep sounds from the bass and cello, the Houston Symphony tunes into the Christmas season.The Houston Symphony will host a multitude of concerts for listeners, starting off with an orchestral rendition of Tim Burton’s ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ and ending their Christmas their kids entertainment focused concert ‘Holly Jolly Holiday’. The Houston Symphony will begin and continue through Dec. 10 to Dec. 23, with prices ranging from $40 to $185.

5.Campfire Christmas at George Ranch Historical Park

Giving an insight to how Texans in the WWII era celebrated Christmas, George Ranch Historical Park hosts Campfire Christmas, a cozy campfire Christmas party located in the heart of Texas. The ranch combines the authentic culture of 1940’s Texas, with live campfire songs and a familial atmosphere. The Campfire Christmas will be held at George Ranch Historical Park on Dec. 16, with prices for adults ( 13+ ) going for $60, prices for children ( 4-12 ) going for $45, and complimentary admission for children 3 and under.