The Stocks and Finance Club Welcomes New Members

Raegan Ervin, Co-Editor in Chief

The Stocks and Finance Club is a club that invites students to learn about the ins and outs of the stock market. This club structures learning by encouraging theoretical discussions and by using realistic trading experience like simulators, also known as fake money. Members in the club will be able to share their personal experiences in the stock market and lessons they have learned.

“The main goal of the club is to educate and teach the club’s members how to effectively trade in the stock market and make a steady profit, by leveraging the numerous kinds of investments available,” said junior Keshav Kumar. “In this way, we aim to make the overall experience of trading less intimidating and more enjoyable.

Kumar started the Stocks and Finance club due to his own interests in economics. He started investing in the stock market in April of 2020, and that was what sparked his idea to hold a school platform in order for other high school students to become better traders.

“I started the club due to my fondness of economics,” said Kumar. “This resulted in me exploring investments that teenagers can make.”

This club is welcome for any student that has an interest in the world of investing or already has experience in trading and wants to further their knowledge and skills. The club covers different types of investments like cryptocurrency and options trading, and is the perfect way to learn more about the business path while still in high school.

“I noticed that students were asking other students for help with finding good stocks and what kinds of investments to make,” said Kumar. “This led me to decide that I wanted to make the experience less intimidating for new traders while giving experienced traders a platform to share and enhance their skills.”

The club meetings are held on a zoom class every other Tuesday of the month at 3:15, and the club currently has ten members. Members of the Stock and Finance club are hoping to actively grow their participation and they welcome any interested individuals to reach out. Students can join through remind, at https://www.remind.com/join/tompkinsst

“My passion for investing and my belief that many students can benefit from learning more about the stock market inspired me to start the club,” said Kumar.
The club does not just have discussions and trading practices, it also holds competitions. The competition is a raffle, and the prize goes to whoever makes the highest percentage in returns for that season. Students get to apply their knowledge of the stock market and their trading skills along with their classmates for an exciting way of learning.

“The club’s leadership team wanted to have incentives to keep people interested in the club and we realized the best way to do that is to appeal to the competitive side of our members,” said Kumar.

For students that love business and finance, the stock market is probably not a new concept for them. The best way to reach financial freedom is through investing and trading, and the only way to do that is by learning how. This club provides opportunities for students before they have even graduated yet, and it doesn’t even cost any money.

“The stock market allows one to make educated investments without having high capital, proved the best form of investing for a high schooler,” said Kumar. “This club is a good start for students who are not aware about investing and want to learn more on how to reach financial independence.”