Behind the Camera: Film Directing with Jayden White

Nowadays, entertainment is a big part of everyone’s lives and it can be displayed in endless ways. Whether it’s watching your favorite show on Netflix, reading a book, or paying $10 to see a movie in a theatre, entertainment surrounds our daily lives. Senior Jayden White has decided to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and chose to be a film director. White is going to the Savannah College of Art and Design to pursue his passion for film directing.

“I became a film director because I really enjoy films. I want to look behind the scenes of how movies were made and I found directing to be a passion of mine, they are the people that control what happens on camera and I enjoy the idea of being in control of that,” said White.

Film directors have many responsibilities outside of just filming, they also control and manage a film’s creative components and form. Their primary duties include reading and editing scripts, motivating and directing actors and working with editors to produce the film in its final form. White is prepared to face these challenges and has been able to get some preparation in Katy ISD’s Miller Career and Technology Center by taking their film class.

“Practice makes perfect, especially in this industry. I push myself to grab a camera and film whatever I can with the resources I have at my disposal and use them to the fullest and I strive to be better every day,” said White.

White enjoys watching all movie genres for his entertainment, but White sees himself filming action blockbusters like the Mission Impossible Trilogy, or directing animated movies using inspiration from one of his favorite animated movies, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. The career of film directing began as early as the 19th century and it paved the way for many great directors to rise and inspire new generations of directors to this day. One of the directors that White looks up to is Marvel Studios’ head producer Kevin Feige.

“I look up to Kevin Feige, because he has done 23 movies in his career and I have enjoyed every second of each of them. I enjoy his directing style and his growth expanded exponentially in a short amount of time which inspires me to follow in his footsteps,” said White.

White is one of the many seniors who has a bright future ahead of him and aims to leave a legacy in the filming industry. White has his family and friends supporting him throughout his career and he is excited to start pursuing what he enjoys.