Seniors Say Goodbye to Fine Arts

Participating in a performing fine art such as band, choir, orchestra, or theater all throughout high school takes commitment and dedication. For those students who have participated in a fine art all four years, they have endured a constant push towards playing an instrument, singing, performing in plays. Those seniors have had to experience what it is like to have a concert, an audition, tests and essays all in one week multiple times for four years. These students carry much advice for underclassmen when it comes to managing the stress of participating in major extra curricular fine arts.

“While getting your work done is very important, it is also important to have fun and enjoy your time in high school while you can. Know your limit on how involved you are able to get in certain activities. Also talk to your teachers about schedules for fine arts activities, because nine out of ten times they’ll be flexible with your needs to give you the best high school experience possible,” said senior choir member, Stephanie BeLanger.

With the stress of school and fine arts it, can become difficult for these students to succeed at everything. It can be detrimental to one’s confidence in their abilities as a student. Some may feel as though they are excelling in one area while not focusing as much on school or a performance.

“Learning how to manage my time consistently and being confident in what I do is something I have struggled with being in band for all of high school. Sometimes it is also hard to know when you’re doing something right, but in the end the ability to constantly work at it and improve allows you to grow stronger as a person,”  said senior band member, Andres Garcia.

Their dedication to school and fine arts creates discipline and responsibility improving their abilities in every aspect of life. This can be useful in tasks, such as applying to college or making a decision on a future career. Whether or not these students continue fine arts in the future, they will always have that experience and the lessons that participating in fine arts has taught them throughout high school.

“Your grades should always come first, but don’t confuse this with your GPA. Your GPA will only carry you so far, but colleges really want to see well-rounded students who are involved. If you’re applying to MIT or Yale or what have you, all your competitors will be incredibly intelligent, so doing well in your extracurricular activities will really set you apart,” said senior, orchestra member Fiona Devlin. “Whether it’s grades, band, orchestra, choir, or whatever, giving your 110 percent effort will serve you very well in life.”

Although continuing fine arts is incredibly challenging, it can also be incredibly rewarding. Fine arts is not just a class it is a way to socialize and connect with people who have the same interests. For seniors, graduating this year, they are forced to say goodbye to that fine arts family that they have grown up with for four or sometimes more years.

“Even though was pretty difficult to maintain school, theatre rehearsals, a social life and a decent sleep schedule, it is possible, and it definitely is worth it,”said senior, theater member Katherine Jensen. “Being in theater has helped me build confidence and gave me opportunities to lead and develop strong relationships with people from different grades and backgrounds that I otherwise never would have met. They’re all so accepting. It really is like a second family.”