FFA Members Prepare for the Progress Show

Processed with VSCO with a5 preset

Under the colorful glare of a makeshift tent, rests a vacant patch paved with dirt. Turquoise bleachers rose high into the air and wrapped around the untouched area. Dozens of members of the community crowded the stands in an attempt to catch a glimpse of the arriving students and their companions. The doors suddenly opened and the room was quickly engulfed by the bellows and cries of various animals. One of the students to present their animals is sophomore Eliza Thomas. With her pig, she quickly followed her fellow students and entered the area with a smile. Members of the Tompkins’ Future Farmers of America hurried to their places, their feet planted firmly beside their animals, and faced the future investors of their programs. Without another word, the 2018 progress show had begun.

“This is our chance to show the progress we have made with our animals and impress future buyers,” said Thomas.

On Dec. 14 and 15, the FFA will take part in the Showmanship Clinic’s progress show. The show provides an opportunity for members to properly practice showing off their animals before the Katy ISD livestock show in February. Secretary of the club, sophomore Lauren Mauney, will be one of the many officers guiding first time members through the stressful performance. The show also allows for future buyers to view the student’s products before the final show.

“This show provides practice and helps prepare previous animal raisers as well,” said Mauney.

Students begin preparing their animals for the event weeks in advance. The animals are first trained to correctly walk through the barn and then the ring. Students then feed their animals specific food to condition weight gain and lose. Finally, members of the club spend hours grooming their animals for the upcoming progress show.
“After weeks of training for the Progress Show, I feel like my pig is truly prepared,” said Thomas.