Sexton Wins Grand Champion in the Katy ISD Livestock Show

This year, Katy ISD celebrated the 75th annual Katy ISD FFA Livestock Show from Feb. 14 to 17. Students from all Katy ISD schools competed showing steers, goats, lambs, swines, broilers and rabbits. The public was able to support the FFA students through auction and barn sale purchases along with add-on donations. One student who was supported by this is sophomore Mia Sexton, who won grand champion with her rabbits.

“This livestock show is something that I think most Katy ISD students look forward to because it is exciting to compete for yourself and for your school,” said Sexton.
The rabbit show began at 4:00 p.m. on opening day. These animals are judged on how they sit as well as their muscle tone. This judging is not only for placement, but it is also to determine which sets of rabbits will be auctioned off. Auctioning took place on the last day of the rodeo at 1:00 p.m.

“You have to work with your animals a lot and sometimes change the type or amount of food they get so they will compete well,” said Sexton.

After the arena judging is completed, they begin placement announcements. Grand Champion is the animal that the judges felt best met all of the criteria. Second place is Reserve Champion. The judges also give out Grand and Reserves Champion awards for each of the breeds competing. Sexton won overall Grand Champion, making her rabbits the ones to watch in the auction. During the auction, Sexton sold her rabbits for $6,500.
“I was really happy that all of my work paid off and I was able to support my chapter,” said Sexton.