Spotlight Player: Rebekah Jordan

The buzzer went off as the JV (Junior Varsity) Tompkins volleyball team was in a 24-20 lead against the opposing team. Sophomore Rebekah Jordan breathed in and out, slightly stretching her arms as Coach Bethany Ellis went over the strategy for the next play. The referee blew the whistle to get both teams back onto the court, causing a round of cheers and applause from the anticipating parents and students. Jordan squatted down and focused on the sound of her teammate serving the ball, recalling what she was here to do.

“I play middle, but for now I play outside because a player is hurt,” said Jordan. “Outside usually gets all the sets; middle has to close every block and stay out of the way.”

Jordan has had experience in different positions as she has been playing volleyball since she was in fifth grade. However, every player may experience a low point, and Jordan has gone through hers.

“This season I sit out a lot because I had to change positions,” Jordan said, “I played middle and I had to switch to outside, so while I’m learning that I’m not really playing as much.”

Just like any player will have a downside, most athletes in any sport will always have to go through tryouts to reach the next point in his or her career, however that was not the case for Jordan.

“I didn’t try out because I hurt my knee, but I assume the coaches had come to my junior high games and had seen me play,” said Jordan.

The day she got better was the day that the people who were trying out had a scrimmage, and she was automatically put into the Freshman A team by the coaches. After her first high school Volleyball season, Jordan prepared for her second tryouts this year. At Tompkins, once a volleyball player is a sophomore or older, the player can either make JV or Varsity. Jordan now sees the pressure that new players have.

“Always be respectful to the coaches, and make sure to play hard,” said Jordan.

JV and Varsity has made it into district playoffs and are hoping to make it far this year as JV and Varsity have both won their first district game. Hopes for this season are high for Jordan, but she believes they can make it.

“This season I’d love to win district,” Jordan said.