Once A Coach, Always A Coach

Tompkins High School welcomed Todd McVey, new Athletic Director and Head Football Coach on Feb. 28. Coming from a position as Assistant Athletic Coordinator for Katy ISD, McVey is a great addition to the Falcon family.

“I’ve been coaching ever since 1988 when I was a graduate assistant at Sul Ross State University. I’ve only ever been a coach. That was just what I connected with. Coaching anything I possibly could,” said McVey.

Having worked at seven different schools/ districts, McVey is not a stranger to coaching. From being the first football coach at Stony Point High School in Round Rock ISD in 2000, to taking the Texas City Stingray football team all the way to state in 1997, McVey has accomplished a lot in his 29 years of coaching.

“While I am the new Falcon football coach, I am also the athletic director. I strive to work with the other coaches and teams during their on and off seasons,” said McVey.

Like many other coaches, McVey enjoys seeing his team build themselves and seeing how the boys can transform from freshman to senior year. Seeing the seniors pack up and leave is never easy, but McVey believes that seeing them grow not only as players, but individuals is one of the most rewarding things about being a coach.

“Throughout a season these boys become an extended part of my family, and seeing them progress into making their love of playing a possible career is something I will always be proud of,” said McVey.

Being a coach is the equivalent to being a mentor for every team and colleague. This creates a certain level of trust on and off the field that will help the team improve and overall win.

“No matter how many times we win or lose we’re now a team, and I’m excited to see how I can help these kids reach their full potential,” said McVey.