The Truth Behind Katy-Only Businesses

Although Katy itself may just be a suburb of Houston, it is filled with diverse residents and a unique variety of shops and restaurants. Many of these businesses are located only in the Katy area, making them even more special to the suburb’s residents. Julie Staubo, owner of The Popcorn Shop, recalls first moving to Katy and thinking about opening up a business.

My husband’s job brought us to Katy. We moved here from Oslo, Norway three years ago,” Staubo said. “While out of the country for 13 years, I missed the American way of celebrating the little things, like having an A on a report card, getting your driver’s license, or celebrating when it’s Friday. While I thought Katy had a lot to offer, I felt it was missing a gift shop.  Anytime I needed party favors or gifts, I found myself driving into Houston to get what I wanted.”

This feeling of something being missing led Staubo to think about what she could do in Katy to fill in the void. The result was opening up The Popcorn Shop, a speciality shop focusing on gourmet popcorn, along with a wide variety of candies, stuffed animals, helium balloons and more.

“While we have only been open for 3 months, the people of Katy have been amazingly supportive.  Not only do they shop here, but our customers give us great suggestions on what types of candy to carry and what flavors of popcorn to make,” Staubo said.

Staubo expresses her appreciation for the Katy community and its natural, neighbourly demeanor. There is something lovely about the Katy area that allows its residents to feel a close-knit bond with its surrounding businesses. Judi Que, co-owner of Leafology Tea Lounge, can also relate to this bond between customers and business owners.

“Leafology was established in Katy due to the need of handcrafted artisan tea. Katy was the perfect choice because I attended Seven Lakes High School and wanted to give back to the local community,” Que said. “We love the diversity and the community support from everyone. We feel that people are exceptionally friendly and know how to support one another.”

Katy is one of the most diverse suburbs in the Houston area due to families from around the country and even around the world relocating and moving in. Que explains how this diversity has helped her business flourish.

“Leafology was opened for all generations but millennials especially to have a place one can hang out and enjoy. Katy-ites seem to really be receptive and open to Leafology, the teas and the food. We are honored to be able to contribute and offer something different,” Que said.

Katy’s thriving influence can be felt by all business owners in the area, including Tina Long, owner of women’s retail shop Mainstream Boutique. Long first moved to Katy with her family in late 2001 from Louisiana. As she watched two of her three children go to school and graduate in Katy, Long watched the suburb’s massive growth happen excitedly around her.

We opened Mainstream Boutique in July 2016 and have seen the area around us continue to grow. We offer a unique collection of apparel and accessories for our multi-generational customers, and have new customers come into the store daily. For our business, friends telling friends about the store is a huge compliment.”

A few other Katy-only businesses include Midway Barbeque, Hauerland’s Gifts, Pane e Vino Trattoria and Pizzeria, J. Barton Clothiers, and RueBird Market. There are many unique places in Katy that one cannot visit elsewhere. Regardless of which Katy-only businesses one has or has not visited, everyone can be certain of this: businesses only located in Katy provide familiar and neighbourly customer service that is hard to find anywhere else, and it is that connection that makes the Katy community so much greater.

“Even though Katy is seeing tremendous growth, we still have that small town feel,” Long said. “That is what we love about our community.”