Rock Their Sounds

On Friday, Nov. 11, Tompkins hosted Rock the Nest, a battle of the bands between students and teachers alike.

“We had six bands signed up, five student bands and one teacher band,” said Shanna Hodges, English teacher and one of the sponsors of the event.

The bands included: Nuclear Youth, Bad Kids to the Front, Last Minute, R.C.O., Runaway Radio, and the solo is by Roque Techera.

“We practiced a couple of times. We recorded an album not long ago and we were pretty fresh from that. We felt ready,” said senior Drew Smith, member of Bad Kids to the Front.

This year, Bad Kids to the Front won the battle of the bands. They performed a fun set with one song, called “Dance Song 07” that, as it sounds, pumped up the crowd. The next song was”Teens in Technicolor”, both were on the band’s new album.

“The other bands at Rock the Nest were great. I was very impressed by the talent the students have. My favorite band that night was ‘Last Minute’ with Ben Graham, Nick Dolan, Sebastian Castillo, Noah Elkins and Ben Percefull. I wish they would have played more,” said physics teacher Jeff Mudd.

All the bands had very varied sounds that laid an exemplary foundation for Rock the Nest if it continues next year. Everyone had an impressive presence on stage and engaged the crowd.

“I would like for Rock the Nest to keep going. It gives people a chance to show themselves off and their bands,” said junior Roque Techera, member of Nuclear Youth.

Rock the Nest is a fundraiser for this year’s junior class’s prom.

“We had a student DJ to play in between the bands sets and keep music playing,” said Hodges.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jstJ7–OiG8&w=560&h=315]