Common Myths Dispelled

What do we mean when we say something is a ‘myth?’ Myths are commonly held beliefs and ideas that are actually false. An individual may go through their entire life thinking that bulls ‘hate’ the color red or that humans only have five senses, but these are in fact false. Hold onto your hats, because here are some common beliefs that turn out to be fiction:

De-oxygenated Blood Turns Blue

This common misconception probably comes from the fact that veins appear blue, and since veins travel toward the lungs, are depleted of oxygen. In reality, blood actually turns a darker red when it lacks oxygen, which can be observed while donating blood. When blood is oxygenated it turns a brighter red.

Strawberries Are Berries

Strawberries are not berries. Strawberries are considered ‘aggregate fruit,’ forming from a flower that has many ovaries. The ovary is the part of the flower that eventually develops and ripens into a fruit. Once the strawberry becomes pollinated, the ovaries swell and form the bright, red strawberry that we think of. Berries actually form from a flower with one ovary, such as grapes and blueberries.

A Dog’s Mouth Is Cleaner Than A Human’s Mouth

If this were the case, then a dog’s mouth would be some sort of medical miracle considering: dogs have their teeth brushed less than humans, put their mouths on almost anything and use their tongues as toilet paper. Mouths are one of the greatest environments for bacteria to thrive, thus this myth does not even sound true.

Being Close To The TV Can Damage Your Eyes

This myth was true for General Electric TVs in the 1960s. In 1967, GE recalled their color televisions which were emitting excessive x-rays due to a ‘factory error.’ Unlucky individuals who owned this device were told to sit ‘five to six feet away from the TV, so that their eyes were safe from the x-rays. GE fixed this issue by replacing all their screens with lead glass shields, but parents all over the world still nag their children to this day about this one incident.

Chameleons Change Color To Blend Into Their Surroundings

Though chameleons change color, this adaptation is not used to avoid predators; the primary reason the scaly creatures blend into the background is to regulate their body temperature and communicate with other chameleons. It just so happened to enable the chameleon to hide from predators.