More Than just an Award

Yazmin Luna, Staff Writer

Summer is just around the corner which means freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors are all waiting for the end of the year to enjoy the summer to the fullest. But before the school year ends an honorary ceremony takes place in the Performance Arts Center, where outstanding students in each grade get recognized for their accomplishments throughout the school year. The dates these ceremonies will be taking place are listed below.

9th grade ceremony– Wednesday, May 11

10th and 11th grade ceremony– Monday, May 23

12th grade ceremony– Tuesday, May 24

Different categories are involved in the ceremony, including ‘The Falcon Award’ and the ‘Obra D Tompkins’ awards which are considered one of the most prestigious awards to get awarded. To get an award the student must embody responsibility and respect among the students and the teachers.

Our campus leadership committee decides what awards we will give out. Myself, the other assistant principals, and our secretaries oversee and coordinate the awards ceremony,”  Andrew Lowry, 9th grade assistant principal, said.  

To enter the ceremony the students need to have an invitation with them or be invited by one of the guests receiving an award. Below there will be a list of the awards and what it takes to be nominated for it.

Appreciation Award – This award is presented to students who hold leadership positions for their graduation class or student body. Must hold an officer position for your class or student body.

Academic Achievement Award – Given by classroom teachers, this award recognizes outstanding students in a specific curricular area. Students are selected based on a strong academic performance as well as classroom deportment. Only one student is able to get nominated for this award by each classroom teacher.

The Falcon Award – Given by classroom teachers, this award recognizes students who display honesty, integrity, perseverance,   respect, and responsibility. Only one student is able to get nominated for this award by each classroom teacher.

All “A” Award – Students who received an “A” for every class, every six weeks.

Perfect Attendance – Students who have maintained perfect attendance and no tardies from the first through the fifth six weeks receive this award.

Obra D. Tompkins Award – This award is presented to students who exemplify and truly embody the characteristics that are highlighted in our Falcon Fundamentals: honesty, integrity, perseverance, respect, and responsibility. They take pride in themselves, their school, and their community. This award is considered our highest honor. Tompkins staff nominated the candidates and after the whole staff votes, they determine who will receive the award.