Science Olympiad Goes to State

Sydney Jackson, Staff Writer

A few weekends ago, the Science Olympiad team placed second in state regionals. This qualified them, for the fifth year in a row, for state competitions.

The Science Olympiad is a national science based competition with students competing in events focusing on various branches of science. Divided up by three types of events; tested, lab, and building, these branches can range from biology, chemistry, physics, engineering and many more. There are two levels in state competitions, B and C division. In a team, the usual number of members are 15 members and in a solo event a member can do three to four solo events.

The team’s sponsor is Forensic Science teacher Stephanie Chronister. Chronister has been the sponsor for the team for five years, but this is her first year as the sole sponsor. Chronister says the team is very self sufficient, so most of the planning and preparation is done by themselves. This involves studying and reviewing past labs and tests and building structures prior to the competition.

“It kind of just depends on what event, but most of the time they study the test banks they’ve created and previewed, and practice labs here in this school to make sure they know what they’re doing and why they react.”said Chronister. “They also have build events where they have to build a structure and hope that theirs performs better than everyone else’s.”

This year, all 50 members of the team qualified for state for all of the competitions they entered in. The B division events include:  Anatomy & Physiology, Bio-Process Lab, Bridge, Botany, Codebusters, Crave the Wave, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Electric Wright Stuff, Experimental Design, Food Science, Green Generation, Meteorology, Mission Possible, Mousetrap Vehicle, Naked Egg Drop, Ornithology, Picture this Ping Pong Parachute, Road Scholar, Rocks and Minerals, Solar Power, Solar System, Sounds of Music, Storm the Castle, We’ve Got Your Number, and Write It, Do It. The C division events include: Anatomy & Physiology, Astronomy, Botany, Bridge, Cell Biology, Chem Lab, Codebusters, Cybersecurity, Detector Building, Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Environmental Chemistry, Experimental Design, Forensics, Gravity Vehicle, Green Generation, It’s About Time, Ornithology, Ping Pong Parachute, Remote Sensing, Rocks and Minerals, Science Word, Solar Power, Trajectory, We’ve Got Your Number, WiFi Lab, Wright Stuff, and Write It, Do It.

“It’s actually all of our events because the team will compete in the various events that the Science Olympiad has for that particular year.” said Chronister.

The state competition will be held on April 22, at Texas A&M University in College Station. The team will be competing against several teams across the state. Their preparation and studying for the competition will help them with their readiness for the competition.