Corinne Miller’s Mission to Fight for Survivors

Gabriela Carpio , Staff Writer

Corinne Miller is a sophomore who is a survivor of Leukemia. She was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia just two days before her second birthday. During Miller’s 2 and a half years of treatment, she had over 1,347 chemo treatments, 26 spinal taps, and over 120 doctor visits. With all the appointments and treatments, Miller spent months away from her family  members and friends. At the age of 4, Miller was finished with her treatments.

“I remember being taken away from my mom to go into surgery and not understanding what was happening. I remember being terrified of the nurses because they would hold me down to stick a needle in each of my arms to give me treatments,” said Miller.

As a survivor, Miller makes impacts by speaking at events and motivating the people around her. Being a part of fundraisers and donations for cancer is very dear to her, since she understands and knows what it is like to go through it.

To this day, Miller’s cancer journey is still not over. The majority of chemotherapies given to Miller were approved by the FDA over 50 years ago. Because of this, Miller is at risk for secondary cancers, heart issues and infertility.

“I have a 60 percent chance of getting secondary cancers, more health problems, and much more. Children deserve better,” said Miller.

Student of the Year is a campaign where they allow high school students to lead a team to raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Miller’s team is called Cancer CUREsaders and they create funds to fight for more survivors, like Miller. The campaign began on Jan. 13 and is still open for donations until March 5.

“I want better treatments for all cancer patients, but mostly for pediatric patients because they only get 4 percent of all medicine and research funding, while adults get 96 percent. Medicines given to children today were approved in the 1960’s and are so dangerous that they are the reason that most children die, not because of the actual cancer,” said Miller.

The treatments given to children was approved long ago and leaves an effect on patients as they grow up and leaves them with issues which could affect them for life. Corrine’s goal is to help patients become survivors, like her, and with the money that is donated, to be used for finding new treatments.

“80 percent of childhood cancer survivors develop one or more chronic health conditions as a result of their treatment. My campaign provides an opportunity for doctors, researchers, and scientists to find safer, less toxic, and more effective treatments for children,” said Miller.

If you are able to donate, please do so by clicking this link. Know that even a dollar helps to kind a cure and help Miller reach her goal. The campaign ends on the 5th of March. https://events.lls.org/txg/houstonsoy22/cmiller