Correa Tackles the Busy Wrestling Season

Vaishnavi Bhat (2021-2022), Print Editor-in-Chief

While managing multiple responsibilities can often become rather frustrating, nobody does it as well as student athletes, who have to thrive in both their athletic and academic lives simultaneously. Senior Daniel Arroyo Correa has been training in wrestling for four years, and has found it to be one of the most gratifying and worthwhile experiences.

“Wrestling for me has always been a way to let my frustration and stress out

in a competitive manner,” said Correa. “And, my favorite part about being a student athlete is that every day I feel a sense of accomplishment knowing that I am able to meet both my academic goals as well as my athletic goals.”

During the varsity wrestling season, student athletes have around two hours of practice every day after school, and are also expected to participate in morning lifts on Mondays and Wednesdays. With such a busy training agenda, the wrestlers find that it is crucial to manage time wisely and stay prepared in order to stay ahead of the game in both school and sport.

“Wrestling always demands a lot of time during the week and weekends so having a schedule specifically for studying and doing homework before taking time to rest is vital for my academic performance,” said Correa.

Since their upcoming regional tournament is around the corner, the athletes’ current practice schedule lasts from 1:50 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. in order to be well prepared. Led by Coach Derek Ankney, the wrestlers are working on increasing their stamina and doing their best when they step out onto the wrestling mat.

“Coach Ankney has always brought out the best in his wrestlers both on the mat and in the classroom,” said Correa. He teaches fundamental lessons on wrestling as well as valuable life lessons which make him stand out as a coach.”

Correa finds that planning ahead can often become exhausting, and that spending a lot of time on a sport he loves means that he may have to sacrifice sleep or free time. Regardless, he believes that pursuing a sport he enjoys is worth it, and he has learned a lot from wrestling.

“Wrestling has taught me both camaraderie as well as to value my own individuality, since I work and give everything I have everyday for the sport alongside my teammates, but I’m also the only person that’s can help myself have a positive mentality once I step out into the mat,” said Correa.