UIL Competitions Near

Gabriela Carpio , Staff Writer

As the new year starts, new events start to begin. One of these events is The University Interscholastic League, or UIL for short. UIL holds contests which include academics, athletics, and fine arts. UIL is an opportunity for students to compete with other students around the state while representing their school.

One of the activities that students participate in for UIL is The UIL One-Act Play contest. Theatre students get involved through auditioning to be a part of the One-Act Play. Each school chooses a one act production to compete with and makes sure it follows the rules that are stated. These rules can include staying within a time limit of 45 minutes, having a certain number of students in the cast and crew, and meeting deadlines directors and students have to follow. Mark McManus is the Theatre Director and he directs the UIL Theatre One-Act Play shows. Currently, students are working on the show Lettie by Boo Killebrew to compete in the contest.

“My favorite thing about UIL is how our students are able to witness others work for other schools in the district and state,” said McManus.

UIL gives the opportunity for students to see how other schools handle these different events and how they produce what they have been working on. It gives students a way to expand what they enjoy doing and learn new ways to do it.

Jason Giglotti is the Campus UIL Academics Coordinator who oversees all the academic events.

“UIL Academics consists of 17 contests made up of three to six members per team.  We have a total of nine coaches for the contests,” said Giglotti.

The nine academic events which are coached by teachers are Ready Writing and Spelling, both are coached by Ms.Godfrey and Ms. Gilpin, Literary Criticism and Journalism, coached by Mr. Culver, Social Studies and Current Events, both are coached by Mr. Gigliotti and Ms. Ferrari, Science, coached by Mr. Aguyao, Math, Calculator Applications, and Number Sense, all are coached by Ms. Maloy, Accounting and  Computer Applications, both are coached by Ms. Clement, and finally, Computer Science, coached by Mr. Johnson.

“We compete in an Invitational Meet at Seven Lakes every January.  The District Meet is in March. It is on a rotation among the Katy ISD High Schools. This year, the District Meet is being hosted by Taylor High School.  If we are fortunate enough to advance to the Region Meet, it is also held at Seven Lakes in April.  If we are really fortunate, we advance to the State Meet in May,” said Giglotti, “We have been very successful at the District Meet in the past and have sent many students to the Regional Meet, with several advancing to State over the past five years.”

UIL is a way for students to compete with others in activities that interest them around the state.