Cobra Kai Season 4 Review

Tristan Beach (2021-2022), Staff Writer

Season four of Cobra Kai picks up where season three left off, with Cobra Kai’s former sensei, John Kreese, played by Martin Kove, threatening to leave if he does not win the All-Valley tournament. This time around, Johnny Lawrence, played by William Zabka, and Daniel Larousso, played by Ralph Macchio, are teaming up, combining their karate styles to go against Cobra Kai, who is now being led by Kreese and a surprise old comrade.

In an attempt to defeat Cobra Kai, Larusso and Lawrence of Eagle Fang and Miyagi-Do, respectively, began training together. The two did not agree on how to train their new students, however, a theme that, along with former friends becoming rivals, would become recurring throughout the fourth season. After a series of disagreements, the duo eventually came to terms with the benefits of their alliance and decided to continue to work and train together.

The surprise old comrade was revealed to be Thomas Ian Griffith, returning from The Karate Kid Part III, reprising his role as Terry Silver, the comfortable millionaire villain living in a multi-million dollar mansion. His life remained essentially the same, with him moving on with his life, and falling in love with a woman. Kresse made multiple attempts to get Griffith to join the team, although Griffith opposed the proposition, citing his comfortability and adaptation to his new, lavish lifestyle. However, he is gradually convinced to team up with Kreese, his former military acquaintance, and put aside his vendetta to get Cobra Kai into fighting shape for the upcoming 51st All-Valley tournament. This would soon prove to be a complicated situation. Both Kreese and Griffith would constantly butt heads, as both senseis held vastly opposing views on how to train the students.

In a similar fashion, due to the changing of alliances, with Robby Keene (Tanner Buchanan), the son of Lawrence, and Hawk, also known as Eli Moskowitz (Jacob Bertrand), joining Cobra Kai and Eagle Fang, the new dojo made by Lawrence, respectively in season three, the rivalring duo were inevitable to come face-to-face. Until then, the rivalry gradually became terrible, eventually leading to Keene leading a group of fellow Cobra Kai students to commit an act of violence that would only further escalate their rivalry.

When the day of the All-Valley tournaments arrives, every dojo is given pep talks by their respective senseis. The tournament continues, with Cobra Kai winning the majority of first-place awards, while Eagle Fang and Miyagi-Do fall behind slightly. Eventually, it comes to Larousso’s attention that students of the Cobra Kai dojo are utilizing Miyagi-Do moves. In classic Cobra Kai fashion, Daniel attempts to persuade Robby into changing alliances. Daniel also realizes the benefits of the combination of Eagle Fang and Miyagi-Do, which leads the two former rivals to eventually come together to help form a strong bond in karate.

The new dynamic of all of the dojos was quite enjoyable, with all of them having their own quirks, defects, and lots of drama. Ultimately, they all grew from merging styles, such as Eagle Fang and Miyagi-Do. The fights were all enjoyable, with great choreography and acting, making it seem as though they were actually making physical contact with each other. The character arcs that were formed were exceptional, however, the final episode was a rollercoaster of events that made me cheer, laugh, and worry about the characters. The final scenes make me excited for what is to come in the next season.