Study Tips to Ensure a Successful Semester

Vanessa Lingenfelter (2021-2022), Co-Managing Editor

Over and over again, countless studies have demonstrated that studying leads to better outcomes for students’ grades. However, many students struggle with studying effectively or even studying at all. Luckily, there are a number of strategies that can be employed to improve your study skills and in turn, your academic success.

For students who struggle with studying, much of it comes down to the ability to manage time efficiently. When faced with a new test, quiz, or assignment it is easy to become overwhelmed and become so consumed with anxiety that one spends more time worrying about studying than actually doing it. Procrastination is a major roadblock to success, but organizing work in advance can help one move past it.

“I would say that prioritizing workload and taking time to schedule it out on paper is really helpful,” said AP Literature teacher Ashley Park.

Furthermore, a change in one’s surroundings can go very far in putting a student in the right headspace to start studying. Electronics are often the biggest culprits of distracting students who could otherwise be studying, so it is important to limit the use of technology or any other distraction.

“Evaluate whether that time is also spent watching TV at the same time or responding to messages on your phone,” said Park. “Take a break from external influences, really focus on work and it will go much more quickly.”

It is important to take notes on the material to help with studying, and how one takes notes is just as vital. Although it is common for students to take notes on their phone or laptop, that can actually be a less effective way of studying.

“There is something about muscle memory that makes it easier for us to recall information when we have handwritten it,” said Park. “I definitely recommend writing notes as you read or study, highlighting what is most important.”

It is one thing to take in new material through listening to lectures and taking notes, but actually absorbing information is a whole different task. In order to commit that material to memory long enough to ace that test, teaching other students can be the best bet.

“Find a friend in the same class and explain the concept to them or explain it to a parent in a way that they can understand,” said Park. “If you can effectively explain it, you have really taken ownership of the concept.”

Taking responsibility for studying can seem like a daunting task, but with the right mindset and plan of action anybody can develop the skills needed to succeed.