Choquette Celebrates Canadian Thanksgiving

Brianna Plake (2021-2022), Social Media Manager

It is Oct. 11 and as the seasons begin to change, sophomore Aisha Choquette begins to celebrate Thanksgiving with her family. With a Canadian background Choqueette’s family celebrates the Canadian Thanksgiving which typically takes place in the middle of October.

“Celebrating in October is more about giving thanks and celebrating the harvest, rather than celebrating the arrival of the pilgrims,” said Choquette.

Unlike the story many Americans grow up hearing at Thanksgiving, Canadians celebrate the holiday for slightly different reasons. Instead of celebrating the arrival of the pilgrims in America, they celebrate the change of the season and the start of the harvest. The harvest can symbolize many things in different cultures, but in Canadian culture it is a time for them to give thanks to the abundance of the season and celebrate together.

“We basically do the same things, just earlier, but we do have a lot of maple recipes,” said Choquette.

Many eat the usual turkey, stuffing, casseroles, etc. on Thanksgiving, and in Canada they do the same, but with a little twist. In Canada the maple leaf symbolizes many things such as unity, tolerance and peace, and to celebrate that part of their culture many Canadians add maple dishes to their Thanksgiving celebration. Some of Choquette’s favorites include foods like maple cookies and maple taffy.

“ One of my favorite traditions is that we invite friends over, since we don’t get a break from school for it,” said Choquette.

What from the outside may seem like a whole of a different celebration is really a similar holiday celebrated in a separate part of the year. In Canada, Thanksgiving is a time for friends and family to gather and celebrate and give thanks for all of the things they have in their life to be thankful for. Since time is not given off in America, Choquette and her family gather near the time of the holiday and celebrate with family and friends.