Leading Management in Tompkins gives Thoughts on New Policy Changes

Kendall Berry, Staff Writer

A world with zero policies is a world with danger occuring every minute. Policies are rules, set of mandates, regulations or passing laws in order to keep the safety of the people up to bar. Not allowing any sort of endangerment to the people or to that particular setting is the main reason why policies are formed.  For example, think of a country that is not safe at all, such as the middle east, now compare that to the United States. A big difference in safety and helpfulness right, well that’s the difference between a place with little to no policies vs a place with a bunch of policies set up. Now lets try switching it up by going somewhere more local, like schools. A school wouldn’t be a good school without any policies or rules to keep it well balanced with safety and enjoyment. A few examples of this have occurred in Tompkins High School more often than you think. Principal Mark Grisdale and Associate Principal Ryan Labay are administrators at Tompkins.

“Although it calmed down, people were upset about the issue with mask mandates, parents complained about mask being and not being worn in schools,” said Grisdale.

The issue in most schools now are if students will wear mask or not, in order to protect themselves from any virus.

Another issue that is leading to a change in policy is the rising vaping problem around the district.

“The second offense for vaping sends you to OAC, (Opportunity Awareness Center) said Labay.”

This is ought to solve the vaping problem that not only the school, but the district has had an issue with for the longest.

A policy change that has not only occurred here at Tompkins or around the district, but around the entire country is school’s transitioning from online learning back to traditional learning.

“It’s good and bad when it comes to school work, it can be beneficial, but it can hurt the student, really all depends on the type of student. There was a big decline in achievement since most students were at home and used their resources rather than actually studying and obtaining the information, this is not for the future”. Online school should only be needed when for an emergency use, like a natural disaster, or a positive test of covid, said Grisdale.”

Both agreed that the talk about student performance needed to be greater and better after a lenient 2020-2021 school year. They spoke with teachers about the performance of students and agreed that it need to change for the better.

“We needed to set a better tone and focus on serious business.(reasoning behind all the tardy stations, dress code and disciplinary actions),” said Grisdale.

This is to be done for the safety and betterness of the school and to allow the school to continue its culture like it was previously before.

“We had to work to try and coast through things to keep a constant pace for everybody to catch up. Not allowing anybody left behind and allowing most students to work back into the swing of things, instead of fully rushing them back,” said Grisdale.

Senior Don Ojiako agreed that this school year is a little different from what he was used to.

“It’s a little different from what I’m used to because last year was my first year so I”m experiencing all these changes first hand, said Ojiako.”

Joshua Black another senior agreed with Ojiako on it being different, but thinks that their  good changes.

“It’s definitely different but I think that they’re all good changes. The tardies can be kind of annoying but my classes are close enough to where it’s not a problem, said Black.”