Satisfying Eateries: Stableside Recommendations for Students

Vaishnavi Bhat (2021-2022), Editor-in-Chief

Students can always use a quick pick-me-up before or after a long day at school. Luckily, right across the street from school are some of the newest and trendiest eateries. From a quick coffee to heavy dinner, the restaurants at Stableside provide high-quality and efficient options for every high schooler.

Blockhouse Coffee & Kitchen

If anyone ever needs to fuel up on coffee to get through the day, Blockhouse Coffee & Kitchen, blockhousecoffee.co, is the place to go. I visited Blockhouse in hopes of finding a comfortable place to study and chat, and I can confidently say that I was satisfied. The amb iance inside is calming, and the entire store is neat and aesthetic. The staff seems friendly as well, and the barista was very accommodating in helping me customize my order. I decided upon a Vanilla Iced Latte, which cost me around $5. Despite the relatively expensive price, the coffee was smooth and creamy: exactly how I wanted it to be. Blockhouse also offers many breakfast and lunch options, including salads, tacos, and club sandwiches. From the incredible atmosphere to the variety of food choices, Blockhouse is a perfect pick for a quick upscale experience.

Nekter Juice Bar

Looking for a healthy afterschool snack? Nekter Juice Bar will satisfy those needs. The store is decorated with a bright green wall and is definitely an ideal location for taking food pictures. Nekter offers smoothies and acai bowls, as well as juice cleanses and wellness shots. I ordered a $9.25 Acai Banana Berry Bowl: a blended acai, strawberry, banana, pineapple, and cashew milk mix topped with ingredients such as granola and blueberries. The bowl was quite big, and was worth the cost. I ended up sharing the bowl with my friend, but every bite was extremely delicious and filling. Through their website, nekterjuicebar.com, or the Nekter mobile app, students can find many discounts and weekly deals to make their orders more cost-effective. Additionally, Nekter provides detox cleanses of various lengths and benefits in order to help restore the body’s natural balance. Overall, Nekter Juice Bar caters perfectly to the physical and mental wellbeing of anyone looking for a quick boost of vitamins, minerals, and essentials.

Crust Pizza Co.

Crust Pizza Co., crustpizzaco.com,  is a modern restaurant that is perfect for a family night out. With “Kids Eat Free Every Tuesday” and “Half Off All Wines on Wine Wednesday”, Crust has something for everyone. This restaurant has a beautiful outdoor seating area, lined with plants and hanging lights, perfect for a relaxing dinner date. I ordered fresh garlic knots for $6.50 and a medium 12-inch margherita pizza for $15. I think it is important to mention that the garlic knots are my new favorite thing on the menu, and all the ingredients on my order felt fresh and warm. They also provide gluten-free and vegetarian options for customers with special dietary needs. Crust offers pastas, sandwiches, salads, and even has gelato and cinnamon roll sticks on the menu. Their build-your-own menu features a variety of toppings, and is a perfect takeout option for a family movie night or a picnic under the stars.

The Union Kitchen

The Union Kitchen is a restaurant that houses foods from various global cuisines. The restaurant and bar are incredibly clean and attractive, and the food is fresh and flavorful. Through their professional and user-friendly website, theunionkitchen.com, I was able to efficiently find what I liked. I decided upon ordering a medium brick oven pizza and a twisted caesar salad for $12.99 each, as well as hummus and parmesan bread for $11.99. Although I noticed that there weren’t too many vegetarian or vegan options, the restaurant serves diverse foods and spreads true flavors from all around the world. Further, their dessert menu is quite appetizing, and has many delectable options for one’s sweet tooth. The Union Kitchen provides many exclusive events, secret menu options, and rewards to its VIP members, which might be helpful to a student looking for divine and inexpensive dishes.

Jax Grill

The perfect place to go with a crowd, Jax Grill is a scratch kitchen and live fire mesquite grill restaurant. With both indoor and outdoor seating, it is a great location to meet up with others and enjoy the food. The menu includes many ‘plates to share’:large platters of food that the whole family can dig into. At Jax Grill, I ordered a burger and a serving of Jax’s Famous Nachos. The serving size was perfect for me,and I definitely felt as though I got my money’s worth. Not only did I enjoy my order, but I was also very pleased with the happy chatter and lively energy that filled every corner. The Jax Grill website, jaxgrillhouston.com, is very decorated, and their menu contains a large list of Texan delicacies. With fair prices and a wide variety of mouth watering options, Jax Grill is a quick stop for a completely unique and enticing experience.

Visiting the restaurants at Stableside is always a good idea, and they provide customers with a flavorful and visually appealing treat. Throughout the day, these places have everything that a student might be looking for, and are conveniently close-by, affordable, and appetizing.