Compare Online and In-Person Teaching

Ella Hummeldorf (2020-2021), Editor

During the 2020-2021 school year, Katy ISD has developed new methods to teach students from home due to COVID-19. Teachers have had to adapt to teaching online because testing and teaching online is different from in person since the students are not in the physical classroom. AP Literature teacher Lisa Detweiler Miller as well as Sociology teacher and Head Wrestling Coach, Coach Derek Ankney have had to learn how to teach online and their face to face students.

“Teachers are always thinking about how a lesson built for the classroom will translate online,” said Miller, “It is a learning experience for both and I have been really impressed with everyone and all that has been accomplished.”

Teaching students online has been difficult for teachers because of the lack of motivation students face at home, and the lack of engagement teachers have been able to pull from their students. Teachers are faced with black empty screens or the walls of their student’s room rather than their faces while they teach online. Some teachers have made it a rule for their student’s cameras to be on and facing their face, but it is impossible to control whether students are actually paying attention to the lesson.

“You don’t get the same level of interaction,” said Ankney. “We sit there and watch the black screens, kids don’t want to turn on their cameras, they turn them on and face the ceiling, they don’t talk, I have tried to get kids to speak to me but they will not.”

For students, learning online at the start of the 2020-2021 school year has been a learning experience to see if online learning is effective for the individual or not. After the first six weeks, many students enrolled as a face to face student simply because they learned better in a physical classroom.

“Online learning allows students to think about how they learn and to realize which learning style is a better fit for them,” said Miller.